Thursday, May 20, 2010

Giving Thanks No Matter What

Giving Thanks No Matter WhatThanksgiving is a time to give thanks -- but in today's more difficult times, it can be a stretch to find gratitude. Many of us have been feeling economic pressure -- perhaps are houses are not as value as they used to be, our stock portfolios and our net worth have diminished. Perhaps our retirement plans are on hold or we've lost a job through no fault of our own.
Even with some gloom in the atmosphere, I nevertheless find that many of the people I encounter in my travels around the world are meeting challenges and viewing changes in positive ways. Following are some comments from my friends, partners, and clients that show gratitude and great spirit, as we rebuild from tough times:

• "There is no use dwelling on the past. What is done is done. In hindsight, would I have done some things differently? Of course! I cannot change that now. I wake up every morning and take one day at a time. I am focused on creating a great future. I am grateful for the opportunities that I have."

• "In a strange way, my recent 'disasters' have actually made me more thankful. I was lost in the frenzy of striving for more, more, more. I have given up a lot of material worth. I now realize that what I have lost doesn't matter that much. I still have my health, friends, and family. I am grateful for the fact that I now understand what really matters."

• "I have a good job. I used to gripe about all kinds of minor annoyances at work. There are a lot of people out there who are much worse off than I am. Now I am very grateful to have a steady income and health care benefits. All the little things that bothered me so much don't matter anymore."

• "I have more time now. I am using it to invest in my future. I am doing what I always said I was going to do--but never quite got around to doing. I am grateful that I have a chance to do what I should have been doing all along."

• "I love my work. As an independent contractor, I have had to cut my fees. Who cares? I still love what I am doing and am grateful to be doing what I love."

• "My company lost almost all of its value and has been bought. I am going to be working for another company now. They used to be our competitors. We used to make such as big deal out of 'beating' them. I now realize that this is just a game. I am going to do my best to make a contribution, but I am no longer going to 'worship the Corporate God'--and put so much of my soul in the hands of people who are just trying to make money. I am going to take responsibility for my own life--and live my own values. I am grateful to have this realization while I am in my 40s."

• "My family is closer than ever. Some of us aren't doing so well. We are doing whatever we can to help each other. I am grateful that we love each other and support each other when times are tough."

Personally, I'm very grateful to have the opportunity to communicate with you, my readers. Many of you have sent me wonderful comments and e-mails. I have learned so much from you, and I am very grateful for your interest in what I write.

"Great is the need of the student to learn -- far greater is the need of the teacher to teach." As a teacher, trying to help you out -- even a little -- adds value to my life. Thank you!

Life is good.

Marshall

My newest book, MOJO, is a New York Times (advice), Wall Street Journal (business), USAToday (money) and Publisher's Weekly (non-fiction) best seller. It is now available online and at major bookstores.

http://www.MarshallGoldsmithLibrary.com

#MOJOtweet

http://www.LeadingNews.org

http://www.MarshallGoldsmithFeedForward.com

Marshall's Upcoming Schedule

No comments: